Hosting Scheme - Code of Conduct
HOSTING SCHEME - CODE OF CONDUCT
All Hosts taking part in the Hosting Scheme must agree to this Code of Conduct.
- I understand that, by registering with the Friends International Hosting Scheme, I am offering to invite an international student(s) to be my guest for a short visit in my home.
- I understand that, all hosts in the Friends International Hosting Scheme are offering hospitality voluntarily and are not expecting any payment of any kind in return. I therefore agree to not ask for or demand money, or any other form of payment, from any student.
- I understand that, the Hosting Scheme is designed to be an experience that will be enriching for both hosts and students. Hosts and students should never feel coerced or forced into being part of the Hosting Scheme.
- I understand that, if at any stage a host or student wants to withdraw from being part of the Hosting Scheme they are free to do so, and must inform Friends International immediately.
- I understand that, though the Hosting Scheme is strictly for hosting international students, it is an inclusive scheme. This means that the scheme happily welcomes international students regardless of race, gender, age, class, sexual identity, religion, and physical ability.
- I understand that, the student has been advised to respect me and my property; and I will respect the student(s), this includes, but is not limited to, their cultural, political, and religious points of view.
- I understand that, the student has been advised not to force religious, political, or cultural points of view on me; and I will likewise not force my religious, political, or cultural points of view on them.
- I understand that, I will be given information about a potential guest(s), and will be free to accept or decline any student(s) suggested to me; but that, having agreed to invite a particular student(s), I will regard that as a commitment.
- I understand that Friends International checks that the students are genuinely registered at a university in the UK; but beyond that, all Friends International knows about the student is the information given on the application form, which will be passed on to me.
- I understand that it will be my responsibility to make contact with my guest and that I should inform Friends International’s representative if the student is not responding. I should explain to the student exactly where they will be met, and by whom.
- I understand that under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) it is a criminal offence to share in anyway or make public the personal details of any student, unless the student explicity states in writing that this is acceptable.
- I understand that Friends International does not arrange visits for single students with single hosts of the opposite sex; and that where the hosts are a couple, the host who is the same sex as the student should be present throughout the visit.
- I understand that people from other cultures have varying attitudes towards ‘personal space’ and physical contact, particularly between the sexes, and to avoid causing any discomfort or embarrassment I will refrain from any physical contact which is not clearly initiated by the student.
- I understand that, any reports of inappropriate behaviour by hosts towards students are always taken very seriously, investigated, and if substantiated, result in the immediate removal of the host from our lists. In addition, I understand that Friends International will take whatever further action is deemed necessary under safeguarding guidelines, which may include passing information to external authorities.
- I understand that after the visit, I do not have any ongoing commitment to the student, although I am welcome to arrange with the student(s) to host them again in the near future.